Buildings & Grounds
The Buffalo Fine Arts Academy, founded in 1862, is the governing body of the Albright-Knox Art Gallery. It is among the oldest public arts organizations in the United States. A major event in the life of the Academy occurred with the construction of the Albright Art Gallery, a generous gift from Buffalo entrepreneur and philanthropist John J. Albright. Intended to serve first as the Fine Arts Pavilion of the Pan-American Exposition in 1901, it was completed too late for that purpose in 1905. The original building was designed by Edward B. Green, the distinguished Buffalo architect also responsible for the design of the Toledo Museum of Art and the Dayton Art Institute.
Later, the museum was significantly enhanced with the addition of a new wing designed by Gordon Bunshaft of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill of New York. Made possible with major donations from Seymour H. Knox, Jr. and his family, and hundreds of other contributors, the new addition was dedicated in 1962, and the museum was renamed the Albright-Knox Art Gallery. Additional galleries are located in Clifton Hall, which is connected to the main building by an underground pedestrian link.
The museum's main entrance is located on Elmwood Avenue, directly across from the Burchfield Penney Art Center at Buffalo State College. The museum's east side overlooks Hoyt Lake, situated in Frederick Law Olmsted's Delaware Park.
Tour Our Outdoor Sculpture
Take our Virtual Tour of Sculpture using the Historypin website and learn more about our outdoor sculpture.
The Albright-Knox is the perfect location for your next breakfast meeting or corporate event.