Tips for Your Visit
The goal of the Albright-Knox Art Gallery’s Access AK: Creative Connection program is to provide meaningful experiences for a wide variety of groups with special needs through the viewing and creation of art within one of the nation’s most renowned museums of modern and contemporary art. Following are some suggestions that will help you and your group get the most out of your experience.
Prior to Your Visit
- Please be sure to fill out the Visit Request Form as completely as you can. Feel free to attach extra notes or information about your group. The form helps us to best meet the goals and interests of your group.
- Call with any questions or concerns, or if you are running late the day of your visit.
Help us preserve the past for the future! In order to ensure the safety of all works of art at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, we ask you to instruct staff, teachers, and participants to please observe the following:
- Do not touch the artwork.
- Food, drink (including bottled water), and chewing gum are not permitted in the Gallery.
- Photographs, with cameras or cell phones, of works in the Gallery’s Collection are permitted, but the use of a flash is prohibited.
In the Gallery
- Name tags are helpful.
- Stay with the group and be an active participant and role model for your participants/students. There are many interesting things to see in the Gallery, but we don’t have time for them all. When you focus, it helps everyone in your group stay focused as well.
- Feel free to add your own thoughts and comments when we are viewing artwork, but try to keep an open and positive attitude.
- Be aware of participants/students who may have difficulty keeping their hands to themselves and be sure to have enough staff to keep them closely monitored.
- When necessary, students/participants having difficulty in the Gallery can be taken by staff to the classroom to regain their composure.
In the Classroom
- Our goal is to allow participants/students to express themselves freely through the creation of art.
- You know your students/participants best; please give them the greatest amount of independence possible in making their creations.
- While staying actively involved with your students, allow them an opportunity to surprise you with their creativity.
Please use the tour and art activity as opportunities to reinforce goals and/or curriculum such as personal space, manners, and particular lessons.
Access AK is made possible through the generous support of the James H. Cummings Foundation, Inc. Endowment; The William M. Wood Foundation; and National Fuel.