Today @ AK
Home > Research > The G. Robert Strauss, Jr. Memorial Library

The G. Robert Strauss, Jr. Memorial Library

The G. Robert Strauss, Jr. Memorial Library is the research and study center for the Albright-Knox Art Gallery. Established in 1933 by Seymour H. Knox, Jr., and his mother Grace Millard Knox, the Library was renamed when it moved to its present location in Clifton Hall in 1992. The new facility, generously donated by Sue and Gerald R. Strauss in memory of their son Bob, is a recognized leader among art libraries in the region.

The library collects, preserves, and makes available scholarly resources in all formats, which reflect the Gallery’s permanent holdings, with a particularly strong emphasis on modern and contemporary art. It has a growing, non-circulating collection of more than 53,000 titles, including but not limited to monographs, auction and exhibition catalogues, periodicals, artists’ books and ephemera, as well as an extensive Gallery Archives.

The library supports the research needs and educational mission of the Gallery with regard to acquisitions, exhibitions, publications, and cultural programs. It also provides access to and professional assistance in the use of the Library to Members, docents, students, scholars, university and college faculty, and others in the community who wish to learn more about individual artists, the history of the Gallery, and the visual arts in general.

Library Hours and Access
Support the Library