The Pan-American Exposition was a World’s Fair held in Buffalo, New York, from May 1 through November 2, 1901. The Exposition was held on the western edge of Delaware Park, extending from Delaware Avenue to Elmwood Avenue and northward to Great Arrow Avenue.
The Albright-Knox Art Gallery’s 1905 Building, designed by the Buffalo-based architect Edward B. Green, was intended to house the principal art exhibitions for the Pan-American Exposition, but it remained unfinished in May 1901. Four years later, in May 1905, it was dedicated as the first permanent home for The Buffalo Fine Arts Academy and became known as the Albright Art Gallery.
For a look at the historical sites in the Pan-American Exposition as they were in 1901 and now, visit this photo gallery from The Buffalo News. For more information on the Pan-American Exposition, browse the resources below.
Content taken from the Albright-Knox Art Gallery’s Historypin channel and The Long Curve: 150 Years of Visionary Collecting at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, 2011.