Basic Instructions for Working with Sculpey Clay
- Start with clean hands and work area
- Knead clay until soft and smooth
- Shape clay, pressing any separate pieces together firmly
- Bake in oven on an oven-proof glass or metal surface at 275 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes per 6 mm thickness. DO NOT USE MICROWAVE OVEN. DO NOT EXCEED THE RECOMMENDED TEMPERATURE OR RECOMMENDED BAKING TIME.
(Sculpey clay won’t dry out until you bake it.)
1. Knead your clay and shape into smooth, round balls. This is probably a skill you learned when you were in pre-school—super easy! You can also make other shapes, like flat, coin-shaped beads; long and narrow beads; or oval beads—see the picture below for ideas and feel free to experiment.
2. Add shapes and patterns to your beads. For polka dots, try making teeny tiny balls out of clay crumbs and then rolling your bead into the crumbs. Then, roll the bead in your hands again to make sure the dots are kneaded in. You could also try adding stripes or geometric shapes, or creating a marbled mix.