- How many different colors does the artist use in this painting?
- How does the artist arrange the colors on the canvas?
- Piece of cardboard
- Construction paper in a variety of colors
- Marker pen
- Glue stick
1. Cut a piece of scrap cardboard or cereal packet to make a rectangular-shaped backing.
2. Using your marker pen and ruler, draw some lines across your construction paper. Space some close together and some further apart.
3. Cut along the lines to make paper strips of different widths and thicknesses. Repeat the drawing and cutting with a variety of different colored papers.
4. Rub your glue stick over the cardboard and create a pattern with the paper strips that covers the entire surface area of the cardboard.
5. Turn your cardboard over and trim any overhanging strips.
Tip: Try out different types of patterns
Optional: Share your creation on Twitter or Instagram with #AlbrightKnox and #MuseumFromHome!
Composition: how something is put together or arranged
Pattern: a repeated decorative design
Contrast: colors or tones that are different from each other
Horizontal: running straight across from left to right
Vertical: running straight up and down