The house was constructed by William C. Sherwood in 1853 on the northwest corner of Niagara and Carolina Streets and was made of wood with a stone foundation.
William C. Sherwood was an original trustee of the Erie County Savings Bank. Later, the house became the residence of Jas. Carmichael and expanded upon to become the Carmichael Block or Carmichael Flats Apartments. The building still stands today.
For more historical information, visit the Albright-Knox’s channel on Historypin.