The William H. Gratwick house was designed by H. H. (Henry Hobson) Richardson (1838–1886). Due to his death in 1886, the house was his last commission. The building was finished two years later in 1888 by supervising architect Herbert Burdett (1854–1891) of Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge.
The house was demolished in 1919 by Frank Goodyear, Jr. and Stephen Clement, who divided the land between their large estates on Delaware Ave. The site of the Goodyear mansion (and the site of the Gratwick mansion) is now parking facilities for the American Red Cross. The owner of the house, William Gratwick (1839–1899), was the part owner of the lumber firm Gratwick, Smith, & Fryer Lumber Company and president of the YMCA.
For more historical information, visit the Albright-Knox’s channel on Historypin.