The North Presbyterian Church was constructed in 1846 on Main Street near the corner of Chippewa Street. The lot purchased for its construction was the location of the first home of Dr. Ebenezer Johnson (1786–1849), Buffalo’s first mayor.
The first services held at the church occurred on October 3, 1847, and the dedication ceremony was on December 29, 1847. In 1904, the church was demolished for the construction of the Hippodrome Theater, which opened in 1914. Designed by Leon H. Lempert, Jr., the Hippodrome was Michael Shea’s first movie theater. The building was demolished in 1983 and the location is now the site of Fountain Plaza.