Douglas G. Schultz is, to date, the longest-serving director in the museum’s history. During his tenure (December 9, 1983–October 1, 2002), the museum acquired more than 1,200 works of contemporary and modern art, increased its endowment by more than 400 percent, underwent an $8.4 million renovation, and presented a strong and varied exhibition program, including retrospectives for Antoni Tàpies and Chryssa.
The 1998 renovation project replaced the air-handling systems in the 1905 and 1962 Buildings, equipping the museum with state-of-the-art heating, air-conditioning, and humidity controls that meet strict guidelines and comply with recognized museum standards for the conservation of the museum’s extraordinary collection. Earlier, in 1992, Schultz oversaw the renovation of Clifton Hall, which had served as the Albright Art School from 1929 to 1959 before becoming the property of Buffalo State until 1988.
Schultz announced his retirement from the museum in 2002.