Life Histories of the North American Marsh Birds, 1977
chalk and color photographs on board
framed: 39 1/2 x 59 1/4 x 3/4 inches (100.33 x 150.5 x 1.91 cm)
George Cary Fund, 1980
- signature/front, lower right, Vito Acconci
- inscription/front, lower right, LIFE-HISTORIES OF THE NORTH-AMERICAN MARSH-BIRDS [underlined] - FINE ARTS BUILDING, NY - SEPT 1975 -
- object text/upper right and lower right panels, AUDIOTAPE SAMPLE / IF THIS WERE WHAT IT IS - / IF THINGS WERE WHAT THEY SEEMED - / IF WE WERE SEEING THINGS - / IF THERE WERE A SINK HERE - / IF WE HAD A SINKING FEELING - / IF WE KNEW THE WATER WOULD / GO ON DRIPPING - / IF WE HAD TO SIT DOWN - / IF THERE WERE A CHAIR NEARBY - / IF WE DIDN'T WANT THE LIGHT / SHINING IN OUR EYES AS WE SAT THERE - / IF THE LIGHT WERE DIM - / IF I COULD MAKE OUT COLORS - / IF THEY GAVE US THE GREEN LIGHT - / IF I WENT ON - / (FADE-IN: PIANO BLUES) / NO, NO, NOT THAT SONG AGAIN, I / DON'T WANT TO HEAR THAT SONG - / (PIANO BLUES FADE-OUT) / IF I WENT ON, I SAID - / IF WE WENT BACK - / IF THERE HAD TO BE SOMETHING ELSE - / IF THERE WERE SOMETHING WE DIDN'T / UNDERSTAND - / IF IT HAD BEEN PUT AWAY, OFF IN THE / CORNER - / IF WE WERE PUT OFF - / IF WE WERE PUT TO SLEEP - / (FADE-IN: BIRDS) / YES, YES, I BELIEVE, YES, YES, WE / KNOW... / (THE BIRDS GET LOUDER AND WIPE OUT THE VOICE)
- object text/lower left panel, SINK - CHAIR PLACED IN CORNER, AUDIO / SPEAKER ON WALL - BOARD BLOCKS / DOORWAY - GREEN LIGHT COLORS ROOM -
- object text/lower left panel, CLOSET SPACE, CLOSED DOOR - / VIEWER OPENS DOOR AND ENTERS, DOOR SPRINGS SHUT BEHIND -
- Sonnabend Gallery, 1980 (purchased from Sonnabend Gallery by the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, 1980)
The museum is closed. Please visit us tomorrow between 10 am and 5 pm.
Individual works of art appearing in the Search Our Fine Art Collection section of this website may be protected by copyright in the United States of America or elsewhere, and may thus not be reproduced in any form without the permission of the copyright owners.