The William R. Heath House was designed by architect Frank Lloyd Wright (1867–1959) in the Prairie School architectural style and built between 1904 and 1905 for William Heath. Heath was a lawyer who had served as office manager and eventual vice-president of the Larkin Soap Company. He was introduced to Frank Lloyd Wright by fellow Larkin Soap Company employee Darwin D. Martin. Wright had previously designed and constructed the Larkin Administration Building and the residential complex for the Martin family.
The building was constructed on a narrow lot facing the traffic circle at Soldiers Place and Bird Avenue, which made the design very distinctive. The seven bedroom home features many classic Prairie School elements, including strong horizontal lines, overhanging eaves, a sheltering roof, and windows featuring art glass. The house is still a private home today.