Skip to Main Content

Installation view of Max Bill: Painting, Sculpture and Graphics 1928–1974

Installation view of Max Bill: Painting, Sculpture and Graphics 1928–1974. Image courtesy of the Albright-Knox Art Gallery Digital Assets Collection and Archives, Buffalo, New York.

Max Bill: Painting, Sculpture and Graphics 1928–1974

Saturday, September 28, 1974
Sunday, November 17, 1974

Max Bill: Painting, Sculpture and Graphics 1928–1974 was the first comprehensive exhibition of the artist’s work in the United States and included more than 140 works, many of them shown for the first time. Although best known for his paintings, sculptures, and graphic design work, these were only some of the interests of this multifaceted artist, whose career was defined by his total involvement in the aesthetic, cultural, and political fields of his time.

Organized by Associate Director James N. Wood in close cooperation with the artist, the exhibition was supported by grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, the New York State Council on the Arts, the Carborundum Company in Niagara Falls, and the Pro Helvetia Foundation in Zurich. Under the patronage of His Excellency Felix Schnyder, Ambassador of Switzerland to the United States, the exhibition travelled to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the San Francisco Museum of Art, and the Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington, DC.

Back to Top