Dr. Charles Cary (1852–1931) studied medicine at the University at Buffalo and received his MD in 1875. In 1879, he returned to Buffalo after studying abroad and was appointed attending physician at Buffalo General. He was also part of the medical faculty at U.B. until 1911. The house was constructed circa 1845.
In 1879, he married Evelyn Rumsey (1855–1924), who was a women’s suffragist, artist, and a patroness of the arts in Buffalo. In the 1890s, Charles and Evelyn moved from their first home at 210 Delaware Avenue (first site of The Buffalo Club) into this house at 340 Delaware Avenue.
For more historical information, visit the Albright-Knox’s channel on Historypin.